Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Greg Yamabe, YAMABE RACING: Good friend and Ford Guru!

1965 Mustang 2+2 




I purchase the Mustang (Restomod - Yeap, I named her) locally in 2003 to replace my 64-1/2 Mustang Coupe that was promised to a guy from back east. The car was visually very pleasing with its shiny paint to it's straight body. The interior was going to require a little TLC, but all in all, I had to have her. She was the dream car I let get away back in 1973 (sold my Mustang 2+2 GT). 


Restomod was your basic 65 Mustang 2+2. She had A/C and Power brakes, both removed by prior owner. She came with a mildly modified 351W, C4 trans and a 8" rear end. I had a much hotter set up in my 65 Coupe, which was just waiting for it's new home. As soon as Restomod's front tires hit the driveway, parts were flying off. I knew what I wanted to do. The transformation turned out to be a never ending project. As fast as I added parts, other parts were flying off. 



An interesting side note, the gentleman who asked to take the reins of the coupe bailed when it came time to buy her. I was heartbroken, I ended up with 2 Mustangs!



Here is a quick look at Restomod as she sits today.





BODY-FRAME:


Painted with 2 Stage Fire Red Pearl Metallic paint
4.5" Cowl induction hood scoop molded onto hood
Deleted: Power steering, power brakes and Air conditioning
Granada disc brakes in front
CEE Front Drag Springs
Carrera 90/10 front shocks
Granada 9" disc brake in the rear with 3.70:1 gears - Detroit Locker
Caltrac Traction bars
Rancho RS9000 5 way adjustable rear shocks




INTERIOR:


Quick release steering wheel
3A Racing seats
Rear seat delete
Power Windows (had to have something power assisted)
Full Roll Cage
Catalog full of gauges




ENGINE:


Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger kit modified to fit my application
351W with 408 CHP Stroker kit
750 BG Mighty Demon Carb modified for blow through system
Edelbrock Victor Jr intake
Edelbrock heads








This is one mean Pony! I have never been for a ride but based on how wicked my 71 Mustang ran after Greg completely rebuilt the engine I am almost afraid to step inside! Check out Greg's YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4Bv04TSPM

No comments:

Post a Comment